About Me

My photo
I'm off to the land of wine, opera, and beautiful men - all the things I love! Let's see what God has in store for me in Italy...

Saturday, April 4, 2009

da baffetto

rachel 2's visit is officially over.  it's been really great to have my friends see my life here.  it reminds me how much i have learned about the city over the past few months, like: 

- the 84 bus is okay, but wait a minute and the express will probably come
- the best gelato is on via del lavatore near the trevi fountian.  (seriously though. i've had it all.  it's the best)
- the taralucce from Todis are divine.
- the night bus is NEVER a good idea
- if you want to eat well, and fairly cheap, go to the jewish ghetto

rachel's first night (actually both rachel's AND rachael's first night) i was insistent on going to this pizza place called da baffetto (the mustache).  three years ago when we were here we talked to a nice swedish actress who's name escapes me, perhaps sarah could help me out with that one, but anyway, she told us to go to this restaurant in trastevere.  i undoubtedly thought she said IL buffetto (the buffet) and we never found our destination.  this time around, when i heard of the famous pizzeria DA baffetto i immediately knew it was the place we were trying to find years ago (p.s. NOT in trastevere at all).  rachel of course didn't remember any of this, and i rolled my eyes.  SARAH would have!  

anyway, i remember meeting this girl, not much older than i am now...and saying to myself, "wow.  that's awesome.  she lives in rome, and knows all the hot spots.  i wish i could do something like that."  maybe not verbatim, but it went something like that.  i realized the other night (as i was recounting the story to rachel) that now - i'm now that girl.  

3 comments:

Maureen said...

I'm so glad you had a good time with Rachel :)

Sarah Anne said...

YOU ARE THAT GIRL!!!!! and of course i remember our beautiful swedish actress friend that we met on the metro who was so helpful and told us not to get our bags stolen... her name is escaping me, but i will check my Europe journal STAT and figure it out!!! P.s. HOW DOES RACHEL REMEMBER NOTHING?!!! ha

rkatha said...

um...way to make me out to be the bad guy! of course i remember meeting her on the bus and that she was telling us where to go. what i DIDNT remember is that she was swedish, what she called the restaurant (b/c i wasnt the one talking to her), and that you asked where 'the buffet' was. give me some credit! :) ha...